Welcome to the tenth episode of our new podcast series: Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge. This podcast series is produced by author Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane).
In this episode, Josh interviews author Jeffrey McGraw as he enters the third and final month of the 90-Day Write cycle on the 85K Writing Challenge.
Topics (in no particular order)
- Finishing the challenge – what’s next
- Rather than a pace of 1,000 words per day, write 1,500 words per day
- “Banking” days of writing for when life interrupts (family issues, car accident, kids sick, blizzard)
- Getting past the first 10,000 words
- Writing the climax, tieing up loose ends
- Final 20,000 words takes readers into the next book
- New set of problems for the main character
- Reflections on writing without an outline
- Making changes in your writing process before next year’s challenge
- Raising the stakes for the main character
- Forces of antagonism in a novel
- Writing a series – challenges when writing a main character that ages from book to book
- Alternating POV from chapter to chapter; multiple POVs
- Learning by reading mysteries and thrillers; novelized screenplays
- Lessons from doing radio comedy, stand-up comedy, and early audiobook promotions in upstate NY
- Writing with baseball games in the background
- Plans for a new project; dedicating next month to outlining for next year’s book
- Learning Scrivener versus Liquid Story Binder
- Pep talk for writers struggling to finish
- In addition to words on the page, what do you want to get out of the challenge?
- Mystery, action, police procedurals in the Genre Tribe forum – Jeff wishing more would join
- Encouraging the community to support each other in the forum
- and much, much more!
To discuss topics included in any of our podcasts, visit the forums.
Bonus feature: Read the “Third Time’s A Charm” by Jeffrey McGraw post on the 85K Writing Challenge.
Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume
Recorded March 2018
Length: 29 minutes
Intro and outro music: “The Strategy”
Enjoyed this podcast? Have questions?
Let us know in the comments below or share your thoughts in the forum under “Podcasts.”
Join us every Wednesday as Josh follows the journeys of 85K veterans EJ Runyon, Jeffrey McGraw, and writing duo Justine Dowsett and Murandy Damodred while chronicling his own journey as a “first timer” on the 85K Writing Challenge.
About Jeffrey McGraw
Jeffrey McGraw’s first writing success of note came in print form in the Ross Malone debut story in the iconic Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine. His next success was an audiobook of the first Ross Malone novel. Currently, Jeff numbers among his successes two completed 85K Writing Challenges. He hopes 2018 will be success number three. Novels by Jeffrey McGraw.
About Josh Cane
Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane) is a long-time reader and first-time writer of vampire stories. His debut novel, Shadows Within, begins The Shadowless series, mostly set in his hometown of Philadelphia. He hosts a podcast on writing and enjoys supporting fellow writers. He and his wife live in Virginia.