Welcome to the fourteenth episode of a special podcast series: Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge, produced by author Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane).
At the moment, we are hosting these podcasts on this website only, so your best experience is to listen from the website, but we are moving them to iTunes, Google Play and the like so that the entire podcast (all 20 minutes) can be heard on mobile devices. Stay tuned. Those accounts are being established now and will be announced shortly.
- This 12-week podcast series runs during the 90-Day Write (January, February, March), making today’s episode the first episode of 2019.
- To listen to the thirteen episodes produced in 2018 featuring writing duo Murandy Damodred and Justine Alley Dowsett, as well as Jeffrey McGraw, E.J. Runyon, and Josh Cane, consult the master list of all “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” podcasts by J.P. Cane.
- For the 2019 12-week “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” season, author Josh Cane will follow four writers on their journey toward writing 85,000 words in 90 days. Tune in every Wednesday as Josh interviews Traci-Anne Canada, Dave Mueller, Julie Valerie, and A.B. Westrick.
Series Recorded: January 2019
Intro and outro music: “The Strategy”
In this episode, listen as Josh interviews Julie Valerie as she embarks on the first month of the 85K Writing Challenge 90-Day Write cycle.
A few of the topics discussed (in no particular order):
- Tip: Write as if you’re writing on contract with a publisher.
- How the 85K Writing Challenge got started and why it was moved from a private Facebook group to a website.
- Getting “bogged down” in the first sentence, first paragraph, first page and not moving forward.
- The power of arriving at the words: The End.
- Understanding the “whole” novel once it’s written and how that changes your approach to writing and editing.
- Writing with notes and outlines by your side.
- Learning curves and lessons learned from mistakes made.
- Writing with a goal in mind.
- Use of an index card “pyramid” to gain clarity on life’s obligations, priorities, wishes, and dreams.
- Ask: Am I achieving my goals, my aspirations?
- The value of time blocking.
- What to do when the momentum of the New Year has left you.
- Do you quit if you break your New Year’s Resolutions?
- “Happy New Month” concept.
To discuss topics included in any of our podcasts, visit “Podcasts” in the forums.
Enjoyed this podcast? Want to hear more? Here’s that link again: master list of all “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” podcasts by J.P. Cane.
About Josh Cane (producer)
J. P. Cane is a long-time reader and first-time writer of vampire stories. His debut novel, Shadows Within, begins The Shadowless series and is largely set in his hometown of Philadelphia. He hosts a podcast on writing and, as a member of James River Writers, enjoys supporting fellow writers. Learn more and subscribe to his monthly newsletter at www.jpcane.com. To listen to more of Josh’s podcasts, visit jpcane.com/podcasts. Follow Josh on Twitter at @jpcane. Subscribe to J.P. Cane’s newsletter.
About Julie Valerie (featured)
Founder of the 85K Writing Challenge, Julie Valerie writes humorous women’s fiction and is developing a series set in the Village of Primm. Her first novel, HOLLY BANKS FULL OF ANGST, was sold to Lake Union, a commercial women’s fiction imprint of Amazon publishing as part of a 2-book deal and will be published in early Fall 2019. Visit Julie Valerie’s author website at julievalerie.com. Never miss an update by subscribing to Julie’s once-monthly author newsletter. Follow her on Twitter at @Julie_Valerie and on her Facebook Author Page at fb.com/JulieValerieAuthor/.