Welcome to the fifteenth episode of a special podcast series: Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge, produced by author Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane).
At the moment, we are hosting these podcasts on this website only, so your best experience is to listen from the website, but we are moving them to iTunes, Google Play and the like so that the entire podcast (all 20 minutes) can be heard on mobile devices. Stay tuned. Those accounts are being established now and will be announced shortly.
- This 12-week podcast series runs during the 90-Day Write (January, February, March), making today’s episode the second episode of 2019.
- To listen to the thirteen episodes produced in 2018 featuring writing duo Murandy Damodred and Justine Alley Dowsett, as well as Jeffrey McGraw, E.J. Runyon, and Josh Cane, consult the master list of all “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” podcasts by J.P. Cane.
- For the 2019 12-week “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” season, author Josh Cane will follow four writers on their journey toward writing 85,000 words in 90 days. Tune in every Wednesday as Josh interviews Traci-Anne Canada, Dave Mueller, Julie Valerie, and A.B. Westrick.
Series Recorded: January 2019
Intro and outro music: “The Strategy”
In this episode, listen as Josh interviews Dave Mueller as he embarks on the first month of the 85K Writing Challenge 90-Day Write cycle.
A few of the topics discussed (in no particular order):
- Laying the “groundwork” in a novel, knowing what will happen ten years down the road in the storyline.
- Finishing a NaNoWriMo project on the 85K Writing Challenge.
- Differences and challenges when writing short stories vs novels.
- Dave’s daily writing practice.
- Productivity tips.
- Writing sprints. Method and quantity to reach daily word count.
- Benefits of getting ahead on a writing challenge.
- How to stay motivated.
- Value of having an online writing community.
- Goal setting. Dave’s plan for his journey on the 85K90.
- Battling the editor within while writing.
- Using scent and music to inspire writing.
To discuss topics included in any of our podcasts, visit “Podcasts” in the forums.
Enjoyed this podcast? Want to hear more? Here’s that link again: master list of all “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” podcasts by J.P. Cane.
About Josh Cane (producer)
J. P. Cane is a long-time reader and first-time writer of vampire stories. His debut novel, Shadows Within, begins The Shadowless series and is largely set in his hometown of Philadelphia. He hosts a podcast on writing and, as a member of James River Writers, enjoys supporting fellow writers. Learn more and subscribe to his monthly newsletter at www.jpcane.com. To listen to more of Josh’s podcasts, visit jpcane.com/podcasts. Follow Josh on Twitter at @jpcane. Subscribe to J.P. Cane’s newsletter.
About Dave Mueller (featured)
Dave Mueller spent a decade driving an 18 wheeler, which gave him plenty of time to come up with weird ideas. Even though his health has forced him to give up his chosen career, he’s still telling weird stories about strange things. Having already written many short stories over the years, and successfully completed NaNoWriMo twice, Dave is hoping to make this year’s 85k90 his first novel-length finished work. When he isn’t hunched over his laptop, you will most likely find him on the air as an amateur radio operator.