Welcome to the eighteenth episode of a special podcast series: Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge, produced by author Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane). This 12-week podcast series runs during the 90-Day Write (January, February, March).
Series Recorded: February 2019
Intro and outro music: “The Strategy”
In this episode, listen as Josh interviews Dave Mueller as he embarks on the second month of the 85K Writing Challenge 90-Day Write cycle.
A few of the topics discussed (in no particular order):
- Working through illness and injury
- Murphy’s Law and writing
- Realizing the book you are writing isn’t the book you want to write
- Realizing you’ve written a troupe you never intended
- Starting over from scratch
- Making the decision to make it [writing a novel] happen
- Running the numbers with two months left in the challenge
- Working “smarter” during the 85K Writing Challenge vs other writing challenges
- How to manage self-doubt
- Benefits of being stubborn
- What to do when the negative voice inside your head pops up
- It’s a matter of perspective
- There are no negative consequences to the challenge
- Even if you don’t succeed at the challenge [writing 85,000] every word written means success
- For Dave, working through a writer’s block means running the risk of making problems in the story worse
- Show me someone who hasn’t been struggling and I’ll show you someone who isn’t trying
- Dave’s advice about life and struggle
- When a demon steps through a portal . . . Run!
To discuss topics included in any of our podcasts, visit “Podcasts” in the forums.
Enjoyed this podcast? Want to hear more? Listen to the thirteen episodes produced in 2018 featuring writing duo Murandy Damodred and Justine Alley Dowsett, as well as Jeffrey McGraw, E.J. Runyon, and Josh Cane, by visiting the master list of all “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” podcasts by J.P. Cane.
About Josh Cane (producer)
J. P. Cane is a long-time reader and first-time writer of vampire stories. His debut novel, Shadows Within, begins The Shadowless series and is largely set in his hometown of Philadelphia. He hosts a podcast on writing and, as a member of James River Writers, enjoys supporting fellow writers. Learn more and subscribe to his monthly newsletter at jpcane.com. To listen to more of Josh’s podcasts, visit jpcane.com/podcasts. Follow Josh on Twitter at @jpcane. Subscribe to J.P. Cane’s newsletter.
About Dave Mueller (featured)
Dave Mueller spent a decade driving an 18 wheeler, which gave him plenty of time to come up with weird ideas. Even though his health has forced him to give up his chosen career, he’s still telling weird stories about strange things. Having already written many short stories over the years, and successfully completed NaNoWriMo twice, Dave is hoping to make this year’s 85k90 his first novel-length finished work. When he isn’t hunched over his laptop, you will most likely find him on the air as an amateur radio operator.