Welcome to the twentieth episode of a special podcast series: Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge, produced by author Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane). This 12-week podcast series runs during the 90-Day Write (January, February, March).
About Josh Cane (producer)
J. P. Cane is a long-time reader and first-time writer of vampire stories. His debut novel, Shadows Within, begins The Shadowless series and is largely set in his hometown of Philadelphia. He hosts a podcast on writing and, as a member of James River Writers, enjoys supporting fellow writers. Learn more and subscribe to his monthly newsletter at jpcane.com. To listen to more of Josh’s podcasts, visit jpcane.com/podcasts. Follow Josh on Twitter at @jpcane. Subscribe to J.P. Cane’s newsletter.
About Traci-Anne Canada (featured)
Traci-Anne Canada is an MG and YA writer with a love of all things fantasy. She is using 85K90 to finish her 4th and 5th novel and plans to query agents this spring. You can find her on Twitter rambling about random things at @TraciAnneCan.
Series Recorded: February 2019
Intro and outro music: “The Strategy”
In this episode, listen as Josh interviews Traci-Anne Canada as she embarks on the second month of the 85K Writing Challenge 90-Day Write cycle.
A few of the topics discussed (in no particular order):
- Spending time on a revision overhaul (due to a revise-and-resubmit request) then outlining a new project.
- Demanding day job plus time spent reading and playing video games has taken her away from writing.
- New project beginning March 1: Goal is to finish the first half of a draft of a middle-grade novel.
- Tip: Turn off spellcheck on Scrivener if it slows your writing down – especially if you write fantasy and use words that aren’t in spellcheck.
- Listening to music without words prevents singing along and helps you write.
- Being happy with what she’s accomplished so far.
- Traci-Anne’s outlines are about three thousand words in length.
- Leveled outlining for Traci-Anne includes using an Excel spreadsheet, bullets, and paragraph descriptions.
To discuss topics included in any of our podcasts, visit “Podcasts” in the forums.
Enjoyed this podcast? Want to hear more? Listen to the thirteen episodes produced in 2018 featuring writing duo Murandy Damodred and Justine Alley Dowsett, as well as Jeffrey McGraw, E.J. Runyon, and Josh Cane, by visiting the master list of all “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” podcasts by J.P. Cane.