Welcome to the twenty-second episode of a special podcast series: Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge, produced by author Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane).
- The “Working Title” 12-week podcast series produced by J.P. Cane runs during the 90-Day Write (January, February, March).
- To listen to the thirteen episodes produced in 2018 featuring writing duo Murandy Damodred and Justine Alley Dowsett, as well as Jeffrey McGraw, E.J. Runyon, and Josh Cane, consult the master list of all “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” podcasts by J.P. Cane.
- For the 2019 12-week “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” season, author Josh Cane will follow four writers on their journey toward writing 85,000 words in 90 days. Tune in every Wednesday as Josh interviews Traci-Anne Canada, Dave Mueller, Julie Valerie, and A.B. Westrick.
Series Recorded: March 2019
Intro and outro music: “The Strategy”
In this episode, listen as Josh interviews Julie Valerie as she embarks on the third month of the 85K Writing Challenge 90-Day Write cycle.
A few of the topics discussed (in no particular order):
- Using April’s 30-Day Finish to finish writing
- Writers often feel they’re always behind – maybe because writing a novel is a big task
- Slow writing, time spent on one paragraph
- Why February is a challenging month on the 85K Writing Challenge
- Figuring out what to do when an element of your story isn’t working
- Writing with a spiral notebook next to your computer to “catch” items
- Put black ink on white paper
- Using index cards to organize editing tasks and budget time
- You have the power to change your process
- Debut year of marketing and promoting the first book (publishing November 2019) while writing and delivering the second book (also November 2019)
- Value of having a small office outside of the home
- Make a “do not disturb” sign
- Use your email “vacation autoresponder” from time to time to focus and slow interruptions
- Hats, monster costumes, coffee mugs . . .
- Tips for writers in the final month of the three-month 90-Day Write cycle
- Upcoming programming on the 85K Writing Challenge
- Keep writing beyond the 90-Day Write cycle if need be – some writers are still writing throughout summer and fall
To discuss topics included in any of our podcasts, visit “Podcasts” in the forums.
Enjoyed this podcast? Want to hear more? Here’s that link again: master list of all “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” podcasts by J.P. Cane.
About Josh Cane (producer)
J. P. Cane is a long-time reader and first-time writer of vampire stories. His debut novel, Shadows Within, begins The Shadowless series and is largely set in his hometown of Philadelphia. He hosts a podcast on writing and, as a member of James River Writers, enjoys supporting fellow writers. Learn more and subscribe to his monthly newsletter at www.jpcane.com. To listen to more of Josh’s podcasts, visit jpcane.com/podcasts. Follow Josh on Twitter at @jpcane. Subscribe to J.P. Cane’s newsletter.
About Julie Valerie (featured)
Founder of the 85K Writing Challenge, Julie Valerie writes humorous women’s fiction and is developing a series set in the Village of Primm. Her first novel, HOLLY BANKS FULL OF ANGST, was sold to Lake Union, a commercial women’s fiction imprint of Amazon publishing as part of a 2-book deal and will be published in early Fall 2019. Visit Julie Valerie’s author website at julievalerie.com. Never miss an update by subscribing to Julie’s once-monthly author newsletter. Follow her on Twitter at @Julie_Valerie and on her Facebook Author Page at fb.com/JulieValerieAuthor/.