Welcome to the twenty-third episode of a special podcast series: Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge, produced by author Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane).
- This 12-week podcast series runs during the 90-Day Write (January, February, March).
- For the 2019 12-week “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” season, author Josh Cane will follow four writers on their journey toward writing 85,000 words in 90 days. Tune in every Wednesday as Josh interviews Traci-Anne Canada, Dave Mueller, Julie Valerie, and A.B. Westrick.
- To listen to the thirteen episodes produced in 2018 featuring writing duo Murandy Damodred and Justine Alley Dowsett, as well as Jeffrey McGraw, E.J. Runyon, and Josh Cane, consult the master list of all “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” podcasts by J.P. Cane.
Series Recorded: March 2019
Intro and outro music: “The Strategy”
In this episode, listen as Josh interviews Dave Mueller as he embarks on his final month of the 85K Writing Challenge 90-Day Write cycle.
A few of the topics discussed (in no particular order):
- Starting from scratch and dealing with feelings of frustration
- Working best in sprints
- Wishing writing time was more regular
- Facing writer’s block
- Deadlines and the whooshing sound they make
- Missing Monday/Friday Word Counts
- Forgetting to update word counts during a challenge
- Interacting with people on Twitter through #85K90
- Offline writing life
- Voice recognition while driving a semi
- Plans beyond the first draft
- Self-editing vs professional editing
- Plans for publishing
- Different types of Creative Commons Licensing
- Biggest lesson learned during the challenge
- Inner editor as rabbit hole
- Final thoughts
To discuss topics included in any of our podcasts, visit “Podcasts” in the forums.
Enjoyed this podcast? Want to hear more? Here’s that link again: master list of all “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” podcasts by J.P. Cane.
About Josh Cane (producer)
J. P. Cane is a long-time reader and first-time writer of vampire stories. His debut novel, Shadows Within, begins The Shadowless series and is largely set in his hometown of Philadelphia. He hosts a podcast on writing and, as a member of James River Writers, enjoys supporting fellow writers. Learn more and subscribe to his monthly newsletter at www.jpcane.com. To listen to more of Josh’s podcasts, visit jpcane.com/podcasts. Follow Josh on Twitter at @jpcane. Subscribe to J.P. Cane’s newsletter.
About Dave Mueller (featured)
Dave Mueller spent a decade driving an 18 wheeler, which gave him plenty of time to come up with weird ideas. Even though his health has forced him to give up his chosen career, he’s still telling weird stories about strange things. Having already written many short stories over the years, and successfully completed NaNoWriMo twice, Dave is hoping to make this year’s 85k90 his first novel-length finished work. When he isn’t hunched over his laptop, you will most likely find him on the air as an amateur radio operator.