Welcome to the twenty-fourth episode of a special podcast series: Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge, produced by author Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane). This 12-week podcast series runs during the 90-Day Write (January, February, March).
Series Recorded: March 2019
Intro and outro music: “The Strategy”
In this episode, listen as Josh interviews Anne Westrick (pen name A.B. Westrick) as she embarks on her final month of the 85K Writing Challenge 90-Day Write cycle.
A few of the topics discussed (in no particular order):
- Updates from Anne’s industry professional revision request
- Getting back into the story after a break
- Results of outlining and scene planning
- Creating a visual map of the landscape when characters travel in a physical place
- Maintaining a writing pace of 1,000 words per day
- Anne might finish in March, but feels certain she’ll finish by end of April’s 30-Day Finish if needed
- Novel written on the 85K90 will be Anne’s fastest-written first draft she’s ever done
- Keeping up with the Monday/Friday Word Count Reports
- Making connections on Twitter with the 85K90 community
- Helpful to see the word counts of others; helpful to see a variety of word counts
- Holding yourself accountable without beating yourself up
- The model of the 85K Writing Challenge is a full year process – not just a 90-day writing challenge
- Lessons Anne learned about herself during the challenge – it’s easy for her to want to edit while she writes and difficult to stay in a write-only mode
- So much better to have something then a blank page
- The value of reaching the end of the story before going back to edit
- Leaving [bracketed notes] within the manuscript to address later
- A full-year attempt at writing a novel makes good sense
- Hoping for a publishing contract in 2019
To discuss topics included in any of our podcasts, visit “Podcasts” in the forums.
Enjoyed this podcast? Want to hear more? Listen to the thirteen episodes produced in 2018 featuring writing duo Murandy Damodred and Justine Alley Dowsett, as well as Jeffrey McGraw, E.J. Runyon, and Josh Cane, by visiting the master list of all “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” podcasts by J.P. Cane.
About Josh Cane (producer)
J. P. Cane is a long-time reader and first-time writer of vampire stories. His debut novel, Shadows Within, begins The Shadowless series and is largely set in his hometown of Philadelphia. He hosts a podcast on writing and, as a member of James River Writers, enjoys supporting fellow writers. Learn more and subscribe to his monthly newsletter at jpcane.com. To listen to more of Josh’s podcasts, visit jpcane.com/podcasts. Follow Josh on Twitter at @jpcane. Subscribe to J.P. Cane’s newsletter.
About Anne Westrick (featured)
Anne (A.B.) Westrick is the author of Brotherhood (Viking/Penguin Random House). In 2011 she finished her MFA in writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts and now blogs monthly at ABWestrick.com on the craft and process of writing. She and her family live near Richmond, Virginia, where she is hard at work on a new novel for upper-middle-grade readers.