Welcome to the final episode of the 2019 “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” podcast, a special podcast series produced by author Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane).
This 12-week podcast series ran during the 2019 90-Day Write cycle (January, February, March).
Podcast Recorded: March 2019
Intro and outro music: “The Strategy”
In this episode, listen as Josh interviews Traci-Anne Canada as she embarks on the third month of the 85K Writing Challenge 90-Day Write cycle.
A few of the topics discussed (in no particular order):
- Master thesis competing with time writing fiction
- Using a different set of muscles to write academic work vs fiction
- Voice used when writing kid lit vs middle grade vs academic
- Anticipating a May/June completion of her 85K90 project
- Reworking the outline before returning to the writing
- Reading within the genre as research
- Writing a contemporary fantasy
- More active on the 85K90 private Facebook group at facebook.com/groups/85K.90days/
- Slow writing – average 500 words with a rare 2,000-word day
- Plans to let the manuscript rest for a few weeks then begin a second draft
- Building the story with each round of revision – plot changes, character changes, etc.
- Sweet Valley Twin series as inspiration – each book a standalone but a series as well
- Value of having a set goal even if you don’t reach it
Enjoyed this podcast? Want to hear more? Visit the master list of all “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” podcasts by J.P. Cane.
About Josh Cane (producer)
J. P. Cane is a long-time reader and first-time writer of vampire stories. His debut novel, Shadows Within, begins The Shadowless series and is largely set in his hometown of Philadelphia. He hosts a podcast on writing and, as a member of James River Writers, enjoys supporting fellow writers. Learn more and subscribe to his monthly newsletter at jpcane.com. To listen to more of Josh’s podcasts, visit jpcane.com/podcasts. Follow Josh on Twitter at @jpcane. Subscribe to J.P. Cane’s newsletter.
About Traci-Anne Canada (featured)
Traci-Anne Canada is an MG and YA writer with a love of all things fantasy. She is using 85K90 to finish her 4th and 5th novel and plans to query agents this spring. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter rambling about random things at @TraciAnneCan.