We hope you enjoy today’s podcast, our eighth podcast in the on-going Wednesday podcast series: Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge. This podcast series is produced by author Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane).
To discuss topics included in any of our podcasts, visit the forums.
In this episode, Josh interviews E.J. Runyon embarking on her third year on the 85K Writing Challenge.
Next week? Julie Valerie interviews Josh to learn how his first year on the 85K Writing Challenge is going and to learn how he is managing the difficult task of writing through the midpoint of his novel.
Highlights from today’s podcast with E.J. Runyon:
- Cut yourself some slack when writing your first draft
- How research and new information fosters writing practice
- Writing 14-book mystery series; planning arcs; building the series; planting seeds (i.e. locksmithing)
- New Writer’s Guide coming out in the Spring
- Delights of getting a lot accomplished; joy of writing
- Pros and cons of pantsing
- Pros and cons of outlining
- Advice once given: don’t tell your story to people as you write it
- Put characters into a scene, describe the fallout, then . . .
- Using Kindle for notetaking
- Special resource E.J. uses for writing mysteries and how she applies what she learns (locksmithing)
- Within Amazon account is a notebook that tracks your Kindle highlights – how to use this in your writing
- Crafting scenes as short stories about your characters
- Writing advice for writing through the midpoint of your novel
- Self-published authors and writing the second edition of a published work
- Wide world of publishing and writing; so much learn
- New additions to the Writer’s Market as reflection of changing marketplace
- And much, much more!
Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.
Recorded February 2018
Length: 26:45 minutes
Intro and outro music: “The Strategy”
Join us every Wednesday as Josh follows the journeys of 85K veterans EJ Runyon, Jeffrey McGraw, and writing duo Justine Dowsett and Murandy Damodred while chronicling his own journey as a “first timer” on the 85K Writing Challenge.
Enjoy this podcast? Have questions? Let us know in the comments below or share your thoughts in the Forum under “Podcasts.”
About EJ Runyon
E.J. Runyon, is a novelist and short story writer, and the author of the non-fiction writing guide ‘Tell Me (How to Write) A Story’. She runs the writer’s website, Bridge to Story, and coaches writers, from around the globe, online.
About Josh Cane
Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane) is a long-time reader and first-time writer of vampire stories. His debut novel, Shadows Within, begins The Shadowless series, mostly set in his hometown of Philadelphia. He hosts a podcast on writing and enjoys supporting fellow writers. He and his wife live in Virginia.