Welcome to the ninth episode of our podcast series: Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge. This podcast series is produced by author Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane).
Join us every Wednesday as Josh follows the journeys of 85K veterans EJ Runyon, Jeffrey McGraw, and writing duo Justine Dowsett and Murandy Damodred while chronicling his own journey as a “first timer” on the 85K Writing Challenge.
In this episode, listen as 85K Writing Challenge co-founder Julie Valerie interviews Josh as he embarks on the second month of his first year on the 85K Writing Challenge.
Topics (in no particular order):
- Reflections from the end of February
- When word count slips in the month of February
- Wisdom from the month of January
- A pantser’s experience on the 85K90
- How Josh’s writing practice has changed since joining the 85K Writing Challenge
- How and why a daily writing habit fuels excitement and new story ideas
- How language flows from the mind to the page through a pen or pencils vs computer
- Emulating the work habits of productive writers
- Monkey mind and its effect on our writing
- Capturing dialogue and what the writer hears in his/her head during the first draft
- Discussing different approaches to writing when you get stuck
- Using different tools and strategies during a writing challenge
- Using dictation as a writing tool, advice for “training your dragon”
- Hard questions about sacrifices made during the challenge
- Writing with your readers in mind; they expect words from you
- Calculating February word counts
- Pep talk moving forward into March
To discuss topics included in any of our podcasts, visit the forums.
Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.
Recorded on February 23, 2018
Length: 29:32 minutes
Intro and outro music: “The Strategy”
About Josh Cane
Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane) is a long-time reader and first-time writer of vampire stories. His debut novel, Shadows Within, begins The Shadowless series, mostly set in his hometown of Philadelphia. He hosts a podcast on writing and enjoys supporting fellow writers. He and his wife live in Virginia.
About Julie Valerie
Julie Valerie, an avid Scrabble player who once played QWERTY on a triple word, writes humorous women’s fiction and is developing a series set in the idyllic Village of Primm. She is the co-founder of the 85K Writing Challenge and serves on the board of directors as communications chair for James River Writers, a multi-faceted non-profit organization based in Richmond, Virginia, that serves as central Virginia’s literary hub. Deepening her love of the written word, Julie earned a certificate in editing from the University of Chicago Graham School and is constantly humbled by the nuances of language and the nitty-gritty of grammar while strengthening her proficiencies in the Chicago Manual of Style. With a master’s degree in education and a certification in wilderness first aid, Julie enjoys reading, the study of wine, section hiking the Appalachian Trail, and travel.
Enjoy this podcast? Have questions? Let us know in the comments below or join us for a discussion in the forum.