Welcome to the nineteenth episode of a special podcast series: Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge, produced by author Josh Cane (pen name J.P. Cane). This 12-week podcast series runs during the 90-Day Write (January, February, March).
About Josh Cane (producer)
J. P. Cane is a long-time reader and first-time writer of vampire stories. His debut novel, Shadows Within, begins The Shadowless series and is largely set in his hometown of Philadelphia. He hosts a podcast on writing and, as a member of James River Writers, enjoys supporting fellow writers. Learn more and subscribe to his monthly newsletter at jpcane.com. To listen to more of Josh’s podcasts, visit jpcane.com/podcasts. Follow Josh on Twitter at @jpcane. Subscribe to J.P. Cane’s newsletter.
About Anne Westrick (featured)
Anne (A.B.) Westrick is the author of Brotherhood (Viking/Penguin Random House). In 2011 she finished her MFA in writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts and now blogs monthly at ABWestrick.com on the craft and process of writing. She and her family live near Richmond, Virginia, where she is hard at work on a new novel for upper-middle-grade readers.
Series Recorded: February 2019
Intro and outro music: “The Strategy”
In this episode, listen as Josh interviews Anne Westrick (pen name A.B. Westrick) as she embarks on the second month of the 85K Writing Challenge 90-Day Write cycle.
A few of the topics discussed (in no particular order):
- Thoughts about the pressure to keep up with the 85K Writing Challenge
- Doing a lot of writing but not hitting your daily writing goals
- Excuses vs reasons
- Getting stuck not with writer’s block but with self-doubt
- Struggling with character depth, motivation, and desire
- Freewriting with your character that doesn’t advance the plot but rather builds understanding of the character
- Updates on Anne’s writing of two books at the same time
- News of a revise and resubmit letter Anne received from a publishing professional during the 85K90
- Revising (often means cutting words) vs writing (which means adding words)
- Updates of writing with a collaborator
- Anne discusses some of the values of writing on the 85K Writing Challenge (what you discover about your own writing practice)
- Checking in every Monday and Friday with your word counts
- Creating scenes, adding sensory details, conducting research
To discuss topics included in any of our podcasts, visit “Podcasts” in the forums.
Enjoyed this podcast? Want to hear more? Listen to the thirteen episodes produced in 2018 featuring writing duo Murandy Damodred and Justine Alley Dowsett, as well as Jeffrey McGraw, E.J. Runyon, and Josh Cane, by visiting the master list of all “Working Title on the 85K Writing Challenge” podcasts by J.P. Cane.